Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kosene

For the last several months, we have been watching the very fast decline of a young woman in the camp. Kosene is the mother of two young boys and is not currently married. Through the course of her sickness over the last few months, she developed a very severe throat infection, lost a ton of weight, and lost a 5-6 month pregnancy. My heart breaks to say that she is likely dying from AIDS and has very little time left. Yesterday, I went to her bedside to deliver some pain medication, because that is all we can do right now. No, that is not all we can do. As a missionary nurse, though most of my time is spent tending to medical needs, my primary objective is to spread the Gospel of Christ. My teammates demonstrated how to do that with love and concern at Kosene's bedside the day before yesterday. The story of that interaction, with its heartache is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment